Judging interest!

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Revan, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Revan

Revan Dungeon Master

So i'm going to be running a D&D5e game some time in the future to better familiarize myself with the various aspects of being a dungeon master(Like making Jeff's life hell! :D). But i'm terrible at following rules, and love to roleplay and write so obviously i'm going to ignore all the premade adventures and create my own.

My main focus is on the players and their characters, they will define the entire campaign, I will simply set the stage. It's up to them then if they want to run head first into battle with a dragon to defend(Or destroy) some village or town or if they want to simply go and pick flowers, make mead, get drunk, and start a fight club before running from the dragon that's destroying the town! And it also makes my learning process more intuitive since it adds a level of randomness and other aspects that may not appear in a premade campaign.

Now I've got enough ideas on what to do to fill several thousand pages if I had the time to actually write it all out. Right now i'd like to judge if there is any interest in a fairly free form* campaign and what people would like to see, Jeff's current campaigns have been slightly restrictive in their settings. But you wouldn't have an evil person defending good anyway so it makes sense. Mine will be free from restrictions, you are literally placed into the world and allowed to do whatever you want, as whoever or whichever class you want(Srsly, if someone pulls off a bard and keeps me laughing and Jeff annoyed i'll give you your own kingdom).

*I'll still have events happening around the characters constantly, it is simply up to them if they wish to pursue it. Do they go and fight the orc army or sit back and watch the chaos they bring on the lands? Will they be good or evil? The choice is theirs! :D

2. Felix

Felix Administrator

I like this idea. It is kind of a mesh between a open sandbox and the restrictive nature of jeff's. So I'm game for it.

3. Vexander

Vexander Member

I'm game for sure! I am all up for being a thief, and one of those takes steals even your panties just because.

4. Revan

Revan Dungeon Master

It certainly would be!

I have various ideas, but like if Vex was a thief running around stealing shit(Which i'd totally allow! You go nefarious one, bring me back some cheese) i'd have to make changes to accomodate that kind of playstyle for him. So I may open up registration surrounding a vague location or locations and events and see what types of characters I get before starting to plan out the wider picture.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  5. Ciara

Ciara New Member

Sign me up! If I can burn people to dead, then I'll be happy :D

6. Revan

Revan Dungeon Master

I have made the beginnings of a campaign! You may do as you like quite basically, but the events that shape your surroundings will certainly affect you, whether you like it or not.